[Sca-cooks] Period pear varieties?

Jennifer Carlson talana1 at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 2 11:29:44 PST 2008

All the discussion of period apples has got me wondering about pears.  Here in Oklahoma, we only get Bartlett's (green and red), d'Anjou, and Bosc.  For the first time yesterday I found seckle (sp?), which were tiny and wonderfully sweet but with a bitterish skin.  Is this a period variety?  Are any period varieties of pears available in the U.S.?

Talana
Still cursing who ever bought up my local grocer's ENTIRE stock of quinces this season.