[Sca-cooks] historic accuracy

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Nov 2 23:09:01 PST 2008

Eibhlin replied to Vitha with:

  <<< Ah, but right there's the difference.  You actually did discuss
in your documentation what the proper breed would be in that time/
place, what the composition of the milk would have been compared to
what you did use, and then you corrected your milk to make the
correct ratio of milk fat to fluid milk.  Plus, you tested with raw
Jersey which allows you to compare the seasonality/terroir of that
grass fed cow's fluid milk to the bulk fluid milk sold in
supermarkets.  There's a big difference both in flavor and how it
responds to the cheesemaking process. >>>

Oooh. Would your documentation stand alone without the actual cheese
and whatever else you submitted? This sounds like it could make a
very good article. Not only on the making of these specific cheeses,
but also to help folks, especially us 'city folks', understand how
today's animals and food products differ from those of the Middle
Ages.  And yes, I'd be interested in considering such an article for
the Florilegium.

How did you compare the seasonality? Did you make the same type of
cheese at different times of the year? I was wondering how you knew
what the Jersey's ate, but I assume that if you were getting raw milk
that you were closer to the source and weren't just buying it at the
local grocery. What did you find out about how the seasonal
differences in grass/other feed affected your milk/cheese?

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com