[Sca-cooks] Turducken Time Again

David Walddon david at vastrepast.com
Sat Nov 8 21:40:16 PST 2008

Try this recipe if for a simpler at home version.
I make it often as my partner is a fiend for turducken.

The recipe and commentary is from "The Vast Repast".

Eduardo

The Turducken is legendary among gourmands searching for the next
amazing meal to serve to their friends and family.  The famous
Louisianan Chef Paul Prudhomme brought the Turducken to public notice
and growing fame.  His multi-page, multi-day recipe can be found on
his web site at http://www.chefpaul.com/turducken.html.  Chef
Prudhomme might have popularized the Turducken, but the concept
stretches back to the middle ages where illusion food (something that
looked like one thing, but was actually another) was a delight that
the best chefs would prepare for the entertainment of the court,
showing off their skills.  Birds stuffed within birds was a popular
illusion food.  You can go all out and try Chef Paul’s recipe or
order a Turducken from many butchers and meat suppliers on-line or
through catalogs.  They come fresh or frozen right to your door.  Or
try this scaled down version I have created for you.  It won’t take
nearly as long to prepare and is very tasty! This recipe makes two
Turducken Rolls.  Each serves two.

Turducken Roll

1 stalk of celery and leaves, diced                        1 sprig
rosemary, de-stemmed and chopped
3 small leeks or one large  , diced                        2 de-boned
chicken thighs

1 tablespoon olive oil
5 sage leaves, chopped

1 tablespoon butter
1/4 pound sausage meat

2 turkey breast cutlets (approx. 1 1/2 lbs.)            1/4 teaspoon
poultry seasoning

2 handfuls of spinach leaves                                    4
tablespoons butter, softened

2 duck breasts (approx. 6 oz. each)

Pre-heat oven to 500 degrees.

Soften the celery and leeks in olive oil and butter until golden.
Between sheets of wax paper pound each of the turkey breasts flat.
This will be your outer layer so make sure you pound gently.  No
holes in the meat.  Lay the spinach evenly over the flattened
breasts.  Roll the duck breasts in the chopped rosemary.  In the
center of the spinach and turkey place the duck.  Cover each duck
breast evenly with the celery and leeks.  Rub the sage over each
chicken thigh and place one over each of the leeks and celery.  Mix
the poultry seasoning with the sausage.  Divide in half and spread it
over the chicken thigh.  Carefully roll the edges of the turkey
breast up and around all the stuffing.  Use wooden skewers to secure
the sides and ends of the rolls.  Slather the rolls with softened
butter.

Place the Turducken Rolls in a roasting pan and place in the hot
oven.  Immediately turn the oven down to 400 degrees.  In ten minutes
turn the oven down to 350 degrees.  Cook the rolls for another 40
minutes or until the internal temperature is above 170 degrees.

To  serve a sauce with the Turducken Roll deglaze your roasting pan
with some white wine, add a bit of butter and thicken with a slurry
of cornstarch or flour.

Food is life. May the plenty that graces your table truly be a VAST
REPAST.

David Walddon
david at vastrepast.com
www.vastrepast.com