[Sca-cooks] Curious Quick Request...

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Thu Nov 13 13:54:53 PST 2008

Define Middle East, I suppose.
This e-notes article on Byzantine Empire Food by Andrew Dalby
http://www.enotes.com/food-encyclopedia/byzantine-empire
mentions "/Timarion,/ a satirical poem of the twelfth century, suggests
salt pork and cabbage stew as being a typical poor man's meal, eaten
from the bowl with the fingers just as it would have been in
contemporary western Europe."

The place to look for the Byzantine connections would be
Dalby, Andrew. /Flavours of Byzantium/. Totnes, Devon, U.K.: Prospect
Books, 2003.

Johnnae