[Sca-cooks] need to draw on your experience

tudorpot at gmail.com tudorpot at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 18:05:49 PST 2008

I was in my mid forties when I last went Europe-- Austria and Italy.
In Vienna I stayed in a pension- a small hotel- name is not used as
much - but think of a ten room or less accommodation - the one I
stayed at was on the second floor of a larger building.  I think I
paid about 30 Euros a night- that was in 2002. No flashy sign, hotel
matchbooks, a basic cold breakfast, no night guard- you get a key to
let yourself in after hours.
At that time there was not a lot of info on the net re Monasteries
and Convents- I found a book at the library. Now there is a lot more
info. You are more likely to stay in a period building this way. I
strongly rec Lonely Planet guides.

http://travel.nytimes.com/2008/10/19/travel/19journeys.html?

As for age- there were many people in the sixties and seventies in
the hostels I stayed in. In the future I will stay in them again. Too
much is missed by staying in big hotels, you don't get the contact
with the people and miss so much. I'd rather have the money for food,
and more days travelling. If I had gone the conventional route- I
would have only been able to stay in Vienna and go to my conference-
thus missing two wonderful weeks in Italy. Another tip- I booked an
open-jaw ticket. Flew from Toronto via London to Vienna- left from
Rome to London and back to Toronto. Not much difference in cost, but
I saved back tracking to Vienna. From Vienna I took the overnight
train- sleeper- saved money on a room- and thus arrived fresh in
Venice ready to see the sites.

In italy the most I spent was 40 euros a night for a one room with
private bath in Venice. I found this by talking to a gentleman who
greeted me at the train station- it is mentioned in a Lonely Planet
guide, as a common practice. He showed me pictures of the rooms and
where the hotel was on the map. When I agreed on one- he called and
made the reservation-I guess he was given a commision. Very
reasonable, and the room was perfect. I tend to not make reservations
for more than one or two days after I land in Europe. That way I am
free to change my plans. I found on my arrival in Florence that a
national holiday was on - the museums were either crowded or closed-
so I moved on to Rome and spent the extra days there.

Freda