[Sca-cooks] book suggestions?

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Nov 15 12:53:16 PST 2008

Tia asked:

<<< A a new period cook, my christmas list needs some advice. What
books do you recommend for starting out with? I dont have a favorite
time/place yet. What would you have started your library with if you
could go back? >>>

This is a question that seems to come up here fairly regularly. To
some extent it depends upon your own interest and how much cooking
experience you already have. Are you confident working from just the
period recipe and doing the interpretation (redaction) yourself? Do
you want suggested redactions to work from? Are you more interested
in period food history or looking just for recipes?

You can find a lot of suggestions and reviews in the FOOD-BOOKS
section of the Florilegium.

I recommend this file for books about food, that aren't necessarily
cookbooks:

books-food-msg   (172K)  2/21/08    Books about food. Not cookbooks.

If you are looking just for information and not for a gift list, many
period cookbooks are now online.

online-ckbks-lst  (12K) 12/18/06    A list of online medieval
cookbooks and food
                                        manuscripts by Thomas Grozier.
online-ckbks-msg  (68K)  4/12/08    Online versions of period cookbooks.

Here is a comprehensive bibliography with comments on what she
considers good and bad:
cookbooks-bib     (44K)  2/15/04    Cookbook bib. by Mistress Jaelle
of Armida.

The cooking historians of the SCA have been instrumental in making
many period recipes available, often at inexpensive prices.
cookbooks-SCA-msg (50K)  3/ 6/07    Cookbooks written by people in
the SCA.

Feudl-Gourmet-art  (6K)  8/30/08    A list of the Feudal Gourmet
pamphlet
                                        series by the Madrone
Culinary Guild.

I'm sure that others will have other suggestions.

Stefan

--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com