[Sca-cooks] Another mustardy question.

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Sun Nov 16 20:34:05 PST 2008

>My question is whether this is one mustard recipe or two, because it could in theory be either.

I think it is two recipes.  When I made it for my feast last year, I took the first recipe as a pear mustard, but looking at it again, I wonder if it should be pears in mustard sauce.

You translated "Most" as cider syrup, while I translated it as grape juice.  The dictionary says unfermented fruit juice, must (for wine), and that "Apfelmost" is cider.   I'm not sure which is more correct.

Ranvaig

Zugehörung 10. Seudt Birne in süssem Most / thu sie auß auf ein saubers Bret / und laß kalt werden / laß den Most weiter sideden / biß er dick wirt / laß jn darnach kalt werden / streichs mit braunem Senf durch / thu alsdenn die gesottenen Birne darein / so wirt es gut und wohl geschmack. Wiltu aber ein guten Senf haben / so stoß Aniß und Coriander durcheinander / streichs durch mit braunem Senfmehl / und süssen gesottenem Wein / so wirt es gut und wohl geschmack.

10. Seethe pears in sweet grape juice/ take them out on a clean board/ and let cool/ let the juice boil/ until it is thick/ let it also get cold/ press through with brown mustard/ and put the boiled pears in it/ like this it is good and well tasting/ if you wish instead to have a good mustard/ you can crush anise and coriander together/ strain through with brown mustard powder/ and sweet boiled wine/ like this it will be good and well tasting.