[Sca-cooks] Another mustardy question.

Barbara Benson voxeight at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 11:23:23 PST 2008

> Ranvaig>
> You translated "Most" as cider syrup, while I translated it as grape juice.  The dictionary says unfermented fruit juice, must (for wine), and that "Apfelmost" is cider.   I'm not sure which is more correct.

I translated this several years ago and frankly, I cannot remember the
reasoning behind my choice in the translation of Most there had to be
one, but I cannot bring it to mind. One thing might be that I am quite
certain that it said Most and not Must, considering that "Apfelmost"
ends in most, it could also be a shortening. Either way, the pears are
cooked in a sweet syrup - but that was not the focus of the project I
was working on. It was a mustard project! ;)

>Margaret> I think I agree with you on the pears in mustard sauce, although a pear and cider mustard would be pretty tasty (and might get made for personal consumption anyway regardless of whether or not it's accurate).

>Now I'm wondering if sweet cider could ever be considered a reasonable substitute for wine must in medieval mustard. Hmmmm.

You could possibly consider this a single set of instructions from
which 3 distinct recipes could be extracted.
1) Pears in a Sweet Mustard Sauce
2) A Mustard made with the poaching liquid from Pears (this one would
be more ... speculative)
3) A spiced Brown Mustard

I wouldn't call it simple, because compared to the other mustard
recipe out of Rumpoldt (there might be more, but I haven't found them
yet) this one is positively complex!

12.  Braun Senff mit lauterm Essig angemacht/ ist auch gut.
12. Brown mustard made up with clear vinegar/ is also good. (M. Grasse)

Interestingly enough, I presented mustards from 5 texts (4 German
sources and Libellius de arte coquinaria) and Rumpoldt was the only
one that called for Brown mustard.

Ciao!

--
Serena da Riva