[Sca-cooks] Beef Jerky (not too OT)

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Tue Nov 18 04:08:56 PST 2008

Pork Floss according to the web is despite
it's a strange name, but a fitting description for the light, fluffy,
thread-like seasoned dried pork product that can be used to add
porkiness to just about anything.
I think people in the USA would describe it as shredded.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2007/10/homemade-pork-floss.html

Jerky tends to be dried into strips. It comes now in a variety of flavors.
I would guess that there could be serious arguments about the origins.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerky_(food) says it's from
"The word "jerky" comes from the Quechau  term Charqui /
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charqui>/ which means "to burn (meat)"."
But of course people have been drying meats for thousands of years.

See here for descriptions and photos plus a few recipes.
http://www.scottsjerkycure.com/
http://finestqualitymeats.com/pork-jerky.html
http://www.seriouseats.com/talk/2007/07/beef-jerky-white-trash-or-actu.html
http://www.tbje.com/