[Sca-cooks] scottish recipes

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Sat Nov 22 17:05:29 PST 2008

The earliest Scots cookbook is not published until 1736.
The earliest published in England is 1500. That's for starters.
The problem with Scotland is that the culinary sources are few and far
in between and
there's a lot of nonsense written about what the Scots ate.
Bookwise you might obtain

Brown, Catherine./ Scottish Cookery/. 1985. Edinburgh: Mercat Press,
1999. http://www.foodinscotland.co.uk/books.html

Geddes, Olive M. /The Laird's Kitchen. Three Hundred Years of Food in
Scotland./ Edinburgh: HMSO; The National Library of Scotland, 1994.

Peter Brears did an excellent summary of Scottish cookery books in his
introduction to Elizabeth Cleland's "A New and Easy Method of Cookery"
from 1755. See http://www.kal69.dial.pipex.com/shop/system/index.html
for part of

that introduction and information about the book.

I have an article based on a luncheon that I created for circa 1600
A Luncheon Prepared for TRM Alasdair & Guenievre by Johnnae llyn Lewis
which should be re-appearing at
http://www.mkcc.rhawn.com/MKCC.html   soon.

In connection with a lady from Calontir I also did the notes for an
early Scots
feast in the time of Malcolm and Margaret. That has a full bibliography
and was
published in Ars Caidis's issue on the Culinary Arts in November 2005.

You might start with those. And I am sure that Stefan will pop in and
urge you to
try the Florilegium too. My article on Shortbread for instance appears
there:
"*Shortbread*" by *Johnnae* llyn Lewis, CE.

Johnnae