[Sca-cooks] Question about rue....

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 24 17:47:24 PST 2008

I sent this to Kiri over an hour ago, but forgot to send it to the list

Sent: Nov 24, 2008 4:52 PM

Kiri wrote:
>Thanks so much for your response.  I'll work with the recipes I have in mind
>and see just how much they need.
>
>So far as the kail is concerned, it's from the Anonymous Andalusian
>cookbook, as translated by Charles Perry as found on the cookbook site...so
>we're talking Muslim Spain in the 13th c.

On the web page:
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Cookbooks/Andalusian/andalusian10.htm
about 4/5 of the way down are definitions of the various measurements. It says:
1 kail can equal from 6.5 liters to 22 liters. The word literally means "a measure."

Now, 6.5 liters is almost 1.75 gallons, while 22 liters is 5 gallons + 3 quarts + 1 cup

That doesn't exactly narrow it down, but i hope it helps.
--
Urtatim (that's urr-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita