[Sca-cooks] Cranberries and Lingonberries

K C Francis katiracook at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 26 13:25:55 PST 2008

Oh, I just adore lingonberrys on swedish pancakes.  Now I've just got to get some!  And yes, they are very like cranberries.

Katira> From: kingstaste at comcast.net> To: sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org> Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 18:34:09 -0500> Subject: [Sca-cooks] Cranberries and Lingonberries> > I just finished up my latest Living History class, this quarter we were with> the Vikings again, and the last day of class was our Viking Feast. I found> some lingonberry cider and lingonberry preserves at IKEA, and had them for> the feast. I made a baked pancake with the preserves, then served some> fresh cheese that I made and a dollop of the preserves on top. They were> lovely, but almost indistinguishable from cranberries. They were smaller,> but about the same amount of tart, the same 'pop' in the mouth when you> crunched on them with your teeth ('crunch' is the wrong word, they weren't> crunchy, but still had some resistance to them even in a preserve), and had> about the same amount of astringency. There was an ever-so-subtle taste> difference, maybe a little less 'citrusy' tone to the lingonberries than to> what I usually associate with cranberries. > > So, you might search for lingonberry recipes and try your fresh cranberries> in those. The baked pancakes were a big hit, by the way. ;)> Christianna > > -----Original Message-----> From: sca-cooks-bounces at lists.ansteorra.org> [mailto:sca-cooks-bounces at lists.ansteorra.org] On Behalf Of Gretchen Beck> Sent: Tuesday, November 25, 2008 5:36 PM> To: Cooks within the SCA> Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] OT&OOP-Cranberries> > > > --On Tuesday, November 25, 2008 5:28 PM -0500 chawkswrth at aol.com wrote:> > > I have somehow landed about a pound of fresh Cranberries. It was one of> > those "That looks interesting" SNATCH buys. I have no idea what I was> > thinking. > > I have no earthly idea what to do with them! > > I have searched all of the cookbooks I have, only to find variations of> > cranberry sauce. Surely there is more to?this good-for-you fruit?then> > that....> > > > I would welcome an idea or three....> > > > _______________________________________________> Sca-cooks mailing list> Sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org> http://lists.ansteorra.org/listinfo.cgi/sca-cooks-ansteorra.org