[Sca-cooks] Midrealm Winter 2008 Artes Draconis Specialty Issue

Gaylin Walli gaylinwalli at gmail.com
Sun Nov 30 17:56:51 PST 2008

I just wanted to send a note to the list regarding the upcoming publication
of the Midrealm's arts and sciences quarterly publication, Artes Draconis.
Some time earlier this summer I committed insanity by volunteering to
coordinate and guest edit a special issue dedicated solely to cooking. I'm
happy to announce that it will be published shortly once we figure out how
to best exchange the files between me and the regular editor. For those of
you who are interested, below is the list of articles that were included and
the names of their authors. Some of those authors even frequent this list,
so props to them publicly for making my life easier by giving me such great
material to work with. There's more in the issue in sidebars and pictures
than you can shake a stick at, folks. And as soon as the download link is
available and confirmed as working, prepare yourself for a monster download
of information (it's a huge file) that will be well work the download wait
time (if I don't say so myself). Cheers! -- Iasmin

****

On Steaming Bread
It should have been simple, but our first attempts ended up in a big sticky
mess. Could we rescue the bread?
BY RIJCKAERT van UTRECHT

Etli Yaprak Dolmasi
Ottoman-style meat stuffed grape leaves. Could an out-of-season emergency
substitution improve the flavor?
BY HAUVIETTE d'ANJOU

Carbanadoes
Carbonado, a late period meat-roasting technique, requires patience and
attention to heat. We found out just how much patience was needed.
BY GWYNETH BANFHIDHLEIR

For tartes owte of lente
After hours observing, could this researcher recreate the tartes she'd
watched being made by the pros?
BY ALYS KATHARINE

Salla Cattabia
Can a roman herbal salad really be called "simple" with a stunning 17
ingredients?
BY LLEWELLYN ap TEIRNON

Recommending Apicius
Of the editions, translations, and collections available, which should you
choose?
BY IASMIN de CORDOBA

Chilled Spiced Pears
Preparing a dessert that travels well and required only a small amount of
time could be as simple as opening a can.
BY SIOBHAN O'NEILL

Mon Amy
Sometimes our expectations get in the way of what we're trying to recreate.
This dessert stubbornly refused to be the cheesecake the author thought it
was, much to her delight.
BY AASA SORENSDOTTIR

Making Historic Comfits
These little after-dinner treats require a deft hand, a bit of patience, and
a lot more time to make than one might think.
BY ALYS KATHARINE

Equipment Comparison
We wanted to know how different the results would be for some common kitchen
tasks completed using medieval and modern tools.
BY HELEWYSE de BIRKSTEAD