[Sca-cooks] historic apples cider

Susanne Mayer susanne.mayer5 at chello.at
Tue Nov 4 11:25:32 PST 2008

Sorry my internet is eratic and so I did not get around to answer earlier:

here in Austria cider or something simmilar to it: Most is made from a
special mostly ineddible variety  atleast the not modern variants (I tried
the as a child) of very small and
very tart  (even isf ripe) apple. Although there are nowadays more than one
variety the term Mostapfel goes at least back to a book from the 18th cent.
The same goes for pears.

Well our garden in Carinthia supplies (every 2nd year) at least 7 or 8
varieties of apples among them russets or as someone supplied. Leatherapples
(the name I know for them) , Bellefleur (I hav NO idea how old they are, the
trees are between 100 and 60 years old only one is just 3 or 4 years old,
Kronprinz Rudolph (probably from the 19th cent), a small, red,  very tasty
apple we only call Nikolo apple as the best time to eat it is around the 6th
of December.

For most of these apples we do not even know the names any more

Katharina

   3. Re: Historical Apples - substitutions for (Mark S. Harris)