[Sca-cooks] Cooking Competitions (was: Historical Apples)

David Walddon david at vastrepast.com
Sat Nov 8 20:54:25 PST 2008

Sorry I have been offline and out of the country but I had to
comment, although late, on the Cooking/A&S competitions.

Stanza wrote:
> I've gotten the impression that the goal of A&S competition,
> primarily, is to
> get as close to creating a period product as is possible, which
> includes
> cooking categories.

I think this is the real crux of the whole discussion. Competitions
should first figure out what they "primarily" trying to do and then
criteria should be aligned to that vision. If you are looking to
encourage participation the judging criteria should be different than
if you are looking for a Kingdom A&S Champion. And if you are looking
for the Kingdom A&S Champion what do you want in this Champion?
Someone that can present their starting point, process, findings and
the object? Or just the object? Start with the end in mind before you
develop  criteria.

Eduardo

Food is life. May the plenty that graces your table truly be a VAST
REPAST.

David Walddon
david at vastrepast.com
www.vastrepast.com