[Sca-cooks] Curious Quick Request...

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Thu Nov 13 13:38:56 PST 2008

Islam isn't a force in the Middle East until around 650, byt which time it
held the Arabioan Peninsula.  By 700, it was a significant force in North
Africa and moving east into the rest of the Middle East.  While the Jews had
dietary restrictions, did the pre-Islamic Arabs have the same?  One also
need remember that most of this was part of the Eastern Roman Empire at the
time, so a Roman recipe for pork might not be out of order.  Even after 700,
the Byzantine controlled areas would probably have pork.

Bear