[Sca-cooks] Adamantius in alien territory, requesting info and advice

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Fri Nov 14 12:31:04 PST 2008

Hullo, the list!

After a minor bout of impulse buying, I am now the proud owner of a
half-brisket's worth (maybe four pounds -- although it _could_ be
trimmed plate and not brisket) of Romanian-style beef pastrami.

I'm a corned-beef guy. My lady wife is the pastrami person, but
neither of us has ever dealt with this before except in the form of a
sandwich. We definitely know what to do with one of those. What I'm
wondering is, what more has to be done to this beast before slicing
and eating it?

It appears to be at least semi-cooked, but the label makes no
reference to that. It appears to be at least partially cooked (it has
that stiff-as-a-board feel of chilled, cooked meat, rather than the
firm flexibility of chilled, raw meat). I gather this product is cured
in a manner similar to corned beef, then coated with a spice rub and
smoked. How much smoked, or how hot it got in the process, is unknown.

I suppose I could cut a slice off and see if I break a tooth on it, or
I could assume it is raw and steam it, which I gather is the
Officially Proper Thing To Do when not eating it straight from the
smokehouse (and I don't own a car with a wide engine block, so that's
out). Does anyone have any experience with this? Do I really need to
steam it for three hours or so, or is it more a matter of covering it
with foil and heating it in a low oven until it comes up to 160F or so?

Anybody?

Thanks in advance!

Adamantius

bellies."