[Sca-cooks] The croissant, the chicken or the egg?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Sat Nov 15 16:06:10 PST 2008

Crescent shaped rolls of enriched, and sometimes spiced dough, garnished
with various seeds predate the Middle Ages.  They appear in Ancient Greece
as part of the worship of Diana.

While there is no hard evidence as to who introduced croissants to Vienna,
the city had ties to the Spanish Hapsburgs from 1519 into the 18th Century.
While the Ottomans besieged the city in 1529 and again in 1683, they did not
take the city either time and their influence was likely limited.  Puff
pastry as we know it was possibly in Vienna before the Ottomans arrived.
I've found a reference to a decree by the Council of Vienna in 1525
condemning ostentation in a marriage ceremony with puff pastry among the
ostentatious items.  As I have not located the text of the decree, I can't
be sure of the reference.  Of course, it is entirely possible that the
Viennese developed croissants made with puff pastry and introduced them to
the rest of Europe.

There are references to "puff pastry" in the Middle Ages, but there is no
way to tell if this is the puff pastry we now use.  Karen Hess states that
the earliest recipe she can find that resembles modern puff pastry is in
Thomas Dawson's, The Good Housewife's Jewell, the edition of 1586 (which may
be a typo for 1596, I haven't checked on the various editions).  Presumably,
there are a number of recipes for puff pastry collected in a book by
Rontzier (1598) including a "Spanish" type of puff pastry (information
unverified).  Also unverified, is the information that P.V. Aenglen gives a
recipe for puff pastry in "The French Baker" (1665).  And, IIRC, we had a
discussion several years ago about a puff pastry recipe in La Varenne.

Bear