[Sca-cooks] book suggestions?

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Sun Nov 16 12:08:18 PST 2008

Ok
In terms of histories and basic reference books to get you started:

Davidson, Alan. /The Oxford Companion to Food/. 2nd Edition edited by
Tom Jaine.
McGee, Harold J. /On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the
Kitchen/. New York: Scribner, 2004.
Brears, Peter. /Cooking and Dining in Medieval England/. 2008
Scully, Terence. /The Art of Cookery in the Middle Ages/. 1997 paperback
Wilson, C. Anne. /Food & Drink in Britain : From the Stone Age to the
19th Century/. 1973. Numerous UK and US editions. Revised in 1991.
That's probably $225-$250 worth. Do you need more?
The new Scappi is coming out. That's $95. The absolutely marvelous
/Sugar Plums & Sherbets/ is*
*Laura Mason’s great confectionery book. If you want to do Elizabethan
England get
/Martha Washington's Booke of Cookery and Booke of Sweetmeats /edited by
Karen Hess which
is the text and commentary of two Tudor Jacobean manuscript cookery
books that came to be
owned eventually by Martha Washington.If you want to do medieval England
buy Curye on Inglysch by Hieatt and Butler. It has a glossary plus the
texts. Ken Albala is one author to look
for. You could spend $100-$200 on his books. Or you could buy up
Peter Brears' volumes.

*Devra at Poison Pen Press has a good list and carries a number of
medieval and Renaissance oriented volumes.
http://www.poisonpenpress.com/cookery.html Check her list for more titles.*

Or let me know and I'll come up with more titles.
**** <http://www.poisonpenpress.com/>

Johnnae, playing librarian