[Sca-cooks] Leaf pastry devloped into puff pastry

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Wed Nov 19 12:58:28 PST 2008

I tried out a recipe for something called 'Peltz' from a 15th century German manuscript Sunday. It consists of thin, layered leaves of egg-and-water dough brushed with molten lard and sprinkled with sugar. There seems to be some kind of tradition that, at some point, could give us 'real' puff pastry.

Since I know you're going to ask and I had to get up anyway: it's the Dorotheenklosterkochbuch, Recipe #236, edited and translated by Doris Aichholzer in: Wildu machen ayn guet essen... Peter Land, Berne et al. 1999. The recipe is not terribly clear.

Ciao

Giano