[Sca-cooks] butter fried shrimp

Euriol of Lothian euriol at ptd.net
Fri Nov 21 04:20:54 PST 2008

This was based on the translation of Rumpolt's, Ein New Kochbuck, #16 found
at
(http://clem.mscd.edu/~grasse/GK_fish1.htm)

Original Recipe:
Wenn die Krebs klein seind/ so dreh das fo:erder am Schwantz herausz/
nim{m} die Oberschalen davon hinweg/ lasz die Schalen am Schwantz
hengen/ pfeffers/ Saltzs vnd Mehls wol/ backs ausz der heiszen Butter/ gibs
trucken also warm auff ein Tisch/ bestra:ew es mit einem Jngwer/ so ist es
gut
vnd wolgeschmack.

English Translation:
If the crawfish are small/ so twist the front away from the tail/
take the shells away/ (but) leave the shell attached at the tail/
pepper/ salt and flour (them) well/ bake (fry) them in the hot butter/ give
dry and warm to a table/ sprinkle it with ginger/ so it is good
and welltasting.

My Interpretaton:
Serves 8
1 pound raw shrimp, peeled with tails left on and drained.
1 cup flour
2 tbsp ground black pepper
1  tbsp salt
½ cup butter
1 tbsp freshly grated ginger

Combine flour, pepper and salt in medium size bowl. Dredge shrimp in flour
mixture. Leave shrimp in flour until flour about shrimp becomes moist (about
20 minutes). Place skillet over medium heat, add butter until butter is
melted. Remove excess flour from shrimp and put in hot skillet. Cook until
all shrimp meat has turned from gray to pink. Toss with freshly grated
ginger,  then serve.

Euriol