[Sca-cooks] Fish at feasts

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Fri Nov 21 19:14:17 PST 2008

On Nov 21, 2008, at 9:04 PM, Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Malkin mentioned:
>
> <<< Sir Sig makes boulabas pretty much every Candlemas.  >>>
>
> What are "boulabas"? A web search only finds it used as a person's
> name.

Try searching under Bouillabaisse. It's a Southern French soup/stew
generally made with several kinds of fin fish and shellfish, with
wine, tomato, garlic, aromatic vegetables like leek, celery, carrot
and onion, saffron, fennel, Pastis Ricard or Pernod liqueur, orange
peel, and other flavorings. It rocks.

I used to work with a Provencale chef who swore his secret was a
spoonful of orange marmalade dissolved in the soup. It's not something
you'd expect to be there, but it's great, and, without it, it's not
quite the same...

It's definitely one of those things where, perfume-wise, the whole is
greater than the sum of its parts.

Adamantius