[Sca-cooks] 12th century oven image

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Nov 21 23:00:27 PST 2008

Interesting.  I think another point in favor of that being a glass
blowers or other furnace rather than an oven is the fact that the
illumination shows flames and while that could just be artistic
license, craft furnaces are typically worked with flame in them,
right? While the beehive oven is originally heated with a fire, but
it is then raked out. The furnace would likely be hotter as well,
right? And thus more effective.

Stefan
  =======
I think it more resembles a medieval glass blowers furnace than a bee
hive
oven.  The two are similar in shape, but without a full view, it's
impossible to tell.  Since it is a religious print, I think "cast
into the
furnace" might be more appropriate than "popped into the oven."

Bear