[Sca-cooks] mortar and pestle questions

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Sat Nov 22 20:19:09 PST 2008

Stefan li Rous wrote:
> 'Lainie said:
>
> <<< I use my marble one the most, but I pull down
> her big wooden one to grind long pepper in- about the only way I can do
> it is to sit on the kitchen floor with the mortar between my legs, so I
> can put my weight into it. Only way I've ever been able to grind the
> durn things. >>>
>
> Are you speaking of long pepper or galangal? I find long pepper is
> fairly easy for me to crush in my small marble mortar and pestle, but
> I've got stories in the Florilegium warning people about how hard
> galangal is and how it  has a tendency to destroy pepper grinders.
Long pepper. I get ground galengal instead of whole, but the long pepper
is still in the little mini-pine cone. I break them into pieces as I can
and then grind them. Maybe I'm just wimpy. :-(

'Lainie

--
"It is our choices Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."  -Albus Dumbledore