[Sca-cooks] Question about rue....

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Mon Nov 24 13:40:51 PST 2008

Al kail or al kayl means, in general, "standard measure."  You need the
context for the precise meaning.  In trade, it is a standard measure of
grain (also "kaila)"used in the levying of taxes.  Under Ghengis Khan, the
kail was roughly 8.87 kg.  Under the Turks, it was roughly 35 liters.
However, I suspect your usage is "dirham al-kayl" which varies by location
and time, but is likely to be 50.4 grains.  11 1/9 dirham al-kayl = 1 uqiyah
= 1/12  rotl.  "Alqueire" is an Iberian corruption of the Islamic "al-kayl"
and is used in some Spanish and Portuguese speaking cultures as as a large
volume dry measure and/or a measure of land.

Bear