[Sca-cooks] Chefs in History u0p to 1500 A.C.

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 09:06:27 PST 2008

Gaylin Walli wrote:
> When thinking about these kinds of articles it makes me wonder what we have
> that's available on all the presidential chefs and their histories. Are
> there some books written on the topic? I have to confess it's not a topic
> I've googled so I'm sure someone knows something.
>
> And when it comes down to it, as we go back in history, have their been
> other books more related to our research? Perhaps the head cooks of the
> various major houses and families in Europe or the Middle East? Certainly we
> can find historical info on X named chef, but I was thinking something more
> on the order of a broad swathe. Something like "Head Chef's to the English
> Monarchy" or something similar for other cultures.

    The cook is always the man behind the scenes whether he works for a
US President or whoever. At Ambassador's residents worldwide cooks are
never credited for all the work they do. I think it good that we ask
about them. I think it humanitarian. Who knows better than you?
    The question  - have there been books related to chefs of major
houses and families in Europe or the Middle East? I think not. What do
we know about them? That is a difficult question when it comes to the
Spanish monarchy until Phillip II because the kings lived in the saddle
traveling from one noble's manor or home to another. The chef, in
general, is not known except for Nola who was worked for Ferran, King of
Naples, son of Alfonso V of Aragon, where the court was sedentary. Many
Spanish nobles also lived in the saddle, following the king or moving on
their own accord to their various estates when their court had eaten the
wheat and other supplies but Miguel Lucas Iranzo, Constable of Castille,
was sedentary in Jaen, served fabulous banquets but we have no mention
of his cooks except for what was served, sometimes, and how wonderful
all was all the time.
    I think we have more luck in northern countries. England of course
has Harry Cock, chef to Eduard III, no??? inventor of Hariote Mutton
today called Irish Stew. Then we have Richard II's cookbook, preparing
the coronation banquet. Of course Archbishop George Neville had an
important cook as well as his brother the Earl of Warwick. Eduard IV had
to have had a marvelous pastry cook at least as he gained so much
weight! Yes, we have France, Germany etc.
     Can we limit this game of what we know about historical cooks to -
up to 1500? I think that more of a challenge! :-)
Suey