[Sca-cooks] Scottish cuisine

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 13:53:21 PST 2008

Someone asked about historical Scottish cuisine recently.
While someone else seemed discouraging to me on the subject I had no
time to look the matter up.
Sitting down and thinking there is a vast area out there such as:
Scottish oats, oat porridges, soups, barley and leeks, kale, nettles.
oatcakes, shortbread and pancakes.
spit roasts.
fish - haddock, smoked haddock, salmon, kippers
game - birds, venison
beef, mutton
soft fruit raspberries and strawberries
cheeses
whiskey and wine
Amazon has about 30 Scottish cookbooks on sale :
http://astore.amazon.co.uk/scotland-food-21?node=0&page=4
I think the subject of Scottish medieval cuisine super. When Marks and
Spencer was in Madrid I bought Haggis the first payday every month as a
special for the family. We love haggis, black pudding and morcilla which
I personally make from our own pigs' blood.
Suey