[Sca-cooks] Homemade Sauerkraut

aoife at cableone.net aoife at cableone.net
Tue Nov 25 18:04:17 PST 2008

Ah, yes....sauerkraut in a can.  My mother made sauerkraut and
weinies at least once a month...hated the stuff...only ate as
little as I could get by with.  We had an "eat everything on
your plate" house.  No options!  Then one year someone gave Mom
a big bushel of cabbages and she made homemade sauerkraut.  I
always thought it had to be made in a crock...however she did
hers in jars.  Shredded the cabbage-packed it in jars-put un-
iodized salt on it and filled the jars with sterile water-capped
them and stored in the bottom of the canning cupbaord for few
months to ferment(can't remember how long).
Upshot was...when she asked me to open the first jar...I groaned
but somehow she got me to try a bite out of the jar (cold) and I
was hooked!
But eating it out of a CAN....eeuuuw!

Aoife