[Sca-cooks] Cooking Competitions

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Sun Nov 2 13:20:38 PST 2008

Actually, there was an event in Atlantia last weekend that featured
competitions, but with a slight difference.  The competitions were sponsored
by members of the Order of the Laurel, and included different kinds of
challenges to the entrants.  I can't remember any specifics but they were
more imaginative than most others.  For example, the challenge I offered
was:

You are the head cook for a noble household in 14th century France.  Your
master is very concerned about his health, and has ordered you to cook meals
that utilizes current humoral theory.  Your challenge is to provide recipes
and redactions for three dishes that will comprise the main course of a
meal.  The recipes (ingredients and method) must reflect humoral theory and
the combination of the three must also reflect this culinary/health
philosophy.  No cooking is required, but you must provide recipes, citing
the theories illustrated, along with documentation for the recipes and the
theories used.  Extra credit will be given for anyone who includes a history
of how European humoral theories evolved.

Each entrant was required to work with the Laurel issuing the challenge
prior to the event.  IIRC, the challenger chose a couple of additional
judges for day of.  I was unable to attend the event, a conflict having
arisen after I issued the challenge.  And, to be honest, no one took up my
challenge!  But all of the challenges were similar in nature to mine.

This kind of competition is, I feel, a good one.  It gives folks a specific
thing to work on..rather than a general category.  The aim was that the
entrants should work directly with the sponsoring Laurel...not sure how well
it worked, but, as I understand it, there were some really terrific
entries.

Kiri