[Sca-cooks] Cooking Competitions (was: Historical Apples)

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Nov 2 16:57:15 PST 2008

Brighid ni Chiarain, OL commented:

<<< Some artisans really don't like competitions.  . . .
The other was at Pennsic (held
under in a canopy in front of the Bathhouse, because the Barn was used
for merchants).  [/creaky rocking chair] >>>

I don't think rocking chairs are period... :-)

<<< OTOH, I was very pleased that around the time that I was getting
serious about my A&S work, the East had several reigns that encouraged
*exhibitions*.  >>>

Ah, yes. The Classic Swimming Hole.  But is that an Art or a Science
exhibition?

<<< Those I could enter without elevating my blood
pressure to dangerous levels. >>>

Well, I think the cold water lowers my blood pressure since after a
little while in that water I start turning blue...

:-)

<<< I think A&S should be fun.  And clearly, there are people who love
competitions, and are motivated by them.  I just think that there
should be plenty of non-competitive venues as well. >>>

I'm not sure we can totally eliminate the competitiveness, although I
like the idea of the "Laurel's Prize Tournament" format since, I
think, there can be multiple winners and you are supposed to get
useful feedback. On the other side, can you do martial arts which are
not competitive?

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas