[Sca-cooks] Cooking Competitions

Stanza693 at wmconnect.com Stanza693 at wmconnect.com
Sun Nov 2 18:25:33 PST 2008

Urtatim writes:

> I'm still looking for more ways to stimulate and support the Arts and
> Sciences in the Principality. What is the key to getting people to
> *care*?
> --
> Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
> the persona formerly known as Anahita
>
> My LibraryThing
> http://www.librarything.com/catalog/lilinah

I think part of getting people to care is getting the leadership at the local
level to care.

Our seneschal is a knight, as is our baron.  They both like the stick jock
thing, but they are both old school knights and believe that a knight should
know something of A&S and something of service, too.  Our seneschal recently
encouraged all the younger fighters to go to dance practice!  He is fond of saying
that people lead by doing.

We used to have all of our champion competitions on the same day.  Our
baroness, with the complete support of the baron and the seneschal, split it
out--martial one event and A&S/bardic another event.  Last year, she decreed that she
wanted people to display even if they didn't wish to compete so that everyone
in the barony could see what our artisans were doing.  This year, we had the
display again but also added the Novice competition, like I posted before.

Two years in a row, we have packed the facility that was chosen for the
event, because our group knows that HE Lydia is serious about wanting to see what
people are doing.  Both she and the baron take the time to talk to and
acknowledge everyone's efforts.  That has sparked interest in A&S here.  Since it is
its own event-whether competing or not-the emphasis is on A&S.  If the fighters
want to play, they have to come up with an A&S related class like Historical
Combat studies.  One year, one of the knights did a class on armouring.  This
year, we had an archer teach string making.

--
Constanza Marina de Huelva

<BR><BR>**************<BR>Plan your next getaway with AOL Travel.  Check out Today's Hot
5 Travel Deals!