[Sca-cooks] Cooking Competitions (was: Historical Apples)

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Mon Nov 3 04:31:34 PST 2008

On Nov 2, 2008, at 11:11 PM, Terry Decker wrote:

>> I'm not sure we can totally eliminate the competitiveness, although
>> I like the idea of the "Laurel's Prize Tournament" format since, I
>> think, there can be multiple winners and you are supposed to get
>> useful feedback. On the other side, can you do martial arts which
>> are  not competitive?
>>
>> Stefan
>
> To properly practice aikido, one needs an agressor who is not
> practicing aikido.  The philosophy of aikido is such that practicing
> the art in its true spirit makes competition questionable.

All true. OTOH, for those tempted to ask, "What good is it, then?", it
should be noted that the word "properly" in this sense refers to
adherence to form, technique, and what might be called "style", but
that even so, improper practice does not necessarily preclude the
separate dislocation of most of the joints from fingertip to
shoulderblade of an attacker ;-).

Not that that is the preferred result, of course. I'm just sayin'...

Adamantius