[Sca-cooks] OT: GoTV

Margaret Rendell m_rendell at optusnet.com.au
Thu Nov 6 02:17:26 PST 2008

Stefan li Rous wrote:
> Selene replied to me with:
>
> <<<
> Stefan li Rous wrote:
> > Where did this blue state-red state come from?
>
> Curiously, from television coverage of national elections.  It's not
> like there was a great agreement amongst the TV networks, it just kind
> of evolved as a convention. >>>
>
> Thank you. I guess this happened after color television became
> common.  But why red and blue? And why blue for the Democrats and red
> for the Republicans?  It would have been rather confusing if different
> stations/newspapers were using the same color for different parties.

As it is, it certainly confused the Aussies who were watching in with
interest - in our elections blue is the conservative/right-wing party*
and red the more leftish party, so the colours are reversed...

Margaret/Emma

* I've left out the party names due to the confusion generally
engendered by the fact that our conservative party is called the Liberal
Party...