[Sca-cooks] Southern Bar-be-que

chawkswrth at aol.com chawkswrth at aol.com
Thu Nov 6 16:28:08 PST 2008

Down here in the South, we realize that there are as many ways of doing 'Que as there are Cooks, as well as regions and counties. Shoot, here in Birmingham, Alabama, you will find at least a half dozen restaurants, all with good 'Que, but there are huge differences in the Sauce. From Dreamland to Full Moon to Bob Gibson's to Jim n' Nicks, you get a range of Vinegar to Sweet, when it comes to Sauce.
(Someone hand Baron Jared a towel-he's drooling, I know it)

The basic recipe is you start with the Meat of your Choice, and a Rub. Some folks use the Rub for everything, while some do a different rub for each type of meat. I use different portions of spices for each. That means Pork, Beef or Chicken.
Pork gets it straight forward, with a little kick, Beef gets one a little lighter designed to enhance the beef flavor, while the chicken gets one really light-almost straight black pepper, with a little bit of rosemary, etc.

I mix the spices with brown sugar for the Pork, less sugar for the beef, and just a touch of white sugar for the chicken.
spread/rub the meat with the Rub (why do you think they call it rub?)
cover tightly, and set it into the Fridge overnight or longer, if possible.

Set up your smoker. I use hickory wood chips as my main flavoring wood. I may throw in some apple wood if all I have is chicken or seafood on there. (I have grilled shrimp before, with a garlic lemon butter brushed on while grilling-they cook too fast to marinade)
I soak the wood for over an hour-I want it good and wet.
I have an electric smoker-I find it more time and cost effective.
I fix the bottom, scattering a good layer of chips about on the lava rocks, and not on the element. you want smoke, not fire.
I place the bowl that has been sprayed with PAM or the spray of your choice (helps with cleanup-trust me!), and then fill it with water. Sometimes, I may throw some rosemary or other fragrant herbs in the water.
I place the bottom rack, and the met that will take the longest to cook, usually the ribs or a big roast, fat side up. You want all that marvelous fat oozing its way through the meat, tenderizing as it goes....
I then place the top rack, and the faster cooking meats, such as chickens, chops and such. If I do chops, I wrap in bacon, to get the fat to do its job.
I put the top on, and walk away.
I check, every hour or so. During the last hour or so, I start basting with sauce. Every 15-30 minutes, I bast.

There are smoking boxes available for the ovens. I saw Paula Dean use one on her cooking show. I apologize for not having a link for them...

Meat + Spices + Moist Smoke= Good Eating

<G>

Good Luck!

Helen

Southern Cook