[Sca-cooks] Vitha's cheese

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Nov 6 19:43:19 PST 2008

Vitha replied to me with:

<<< Stefan
lover of cheddar cheese, especially the sharp, aged stuff. Or are those
really equivalent?

The process of "Cheddaring" isn't period.  Cheese from Cheddar,
England has been produced from early times, but I am still researching
*what* that cheese was like.  The real point of the project was to
test out the mould & press, the cheese was just an added benefit.

Vitha >>>

Yes, the question of cheddar cheese being period or not has come up
here previously.  It would be interesting if you can find out what
cheddar cheese was like before "cheddaring" was developed.

But this doesn't answer my, somewhat flippant, question. Does aging
itself make a cheese "sharper"? Is aging required to get a "sharp"
cheese, whether a cheddar or some other cheese? Does aging a cheese
always make it sharper?

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas