[Sca-cooks] "The Medieval Kitchen"

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Nov 6 23:48:19 PST 2008

Hrothny asked:

<<< A friend showed me her copy of "The Medieval Kitchen" at our
business
meeting this evening. I *think* I remember it being discussed here
but can't
find any mention of it in the archives using "The Medieval Kitchen"
in the
search function. >>>

I would have expected quite a number of hits on that. I got quite a
number when I plugged that into the search engine in the Florilegium.
Unfortunately, I'm several years behind in editing, and paring down,
my stuff for the cookbooks-msg but I remember a number of comments
here that I saved to add to that file.

In the meantime, here is what Mistress Jaelle had to say in this file:

  cookbooks-bib     (44K)  2/15/04    Cookbook bib. by Mistress
Jaelle of Armida.

------
Redon, Odile, Sabban, Francoise, & Serventi, Silvano.  THE MEDIEVAL
KITCHEN. RECIPES FROM FRANCE AND ITALY. The University of Chicago
Press. 1998. A good book with 14th and 15th century recipes, both in
translation and redacted. Good information about food and cooking of
the time. RECOMMENDED.
------

I think this book may be out of print since I remember picking up one
or two copies as remainders.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas