[Sca-cooks] Beef Jerky (not too OT)

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Fri Nov 14 18:39:41 PST 2008

On Nov 14, 2008, at 8:23 PM, Saint Phlip wrote:

> Lay the pieces of meat out flat on a cookie sheet or three, and put in
> the oven. A gas oven's pilot light will dry things sufficiently, if
> you have a gas oven, but very low in an electric oven will work, too.
> Just leave stuiff there, until it's very dry, and place in sealed
> plastic bags, and it'll keep pretty near forever.

A slightly messier, but somewhat more effective trick I've been using,
is to thread the ends of the strips onto bamboo skewers, and hang them
straight down through the bars of the oven rack, with a pan underneath
to catch drips.

It seems to cut down on the drying time somewhat, and I think you can
pack more strips into a smaller space without crowding to the point
where they don't dry properly.

Adamantius