[Sca-cooks] Another mustardy question.

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Mon Nov 17 10:25:10 PST 2008

Oops, I went to nomail and never came back. Must fix that.
Anyway, this is two recipes, but only one of them for a mustard sauce; the
other is for a pears in mustard sauce. I believe the "Brown Mustard" in
"press it through a sieve with brown Mustard" is already a mustard sauce,
though ground brown mustard seeds would be fine here too. You could either
use brown mustard ground with clear (white wine) vinegar as Rumpolt
suggests elsewhere, or the mustard sauce mentioned here:
"When you would have a good Mustard / so pound Anise and Coriander
> altogether / press it through a sieve with brown Mustard flour / and sweet
> boiled wine / so it will be good and well tasting."

This recipe also strengthens my thought that the Pear Preserves in the
mustard for salt cod mentioned in Welserin may actually be 'pear sweet',
or boiled down pear juice.

Thanks!
-- Jadwiga