[Sca-cooks] OT&OOP-Cranberries

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Tue Nov 25 16:17:56 PST 2008

On Nov 25, 2008, at 5:28 PM, chawkswrth at aol.com wrote:

> OK-my memory was just jogged....
>
> I have somehow landed about a pound of fresh Cranberries. It was one
> of those "That looks interesting" SNATCH buys.
> I have no idea what I was thinking.
> I have no earthly idea what to do with them!
> I have searched all of the cookbooks I have, only to find variations
> of cranberry sauce. Surely there is more to?this good-for-you fruit?
> then that....
>
> I would welcome an idea or three....

Yes, there's lots more, but at the risk of displaying my minimalist
tendencies, don't discount the cranberry sauce concept simply because
it seems mundane; the real, homemade McCoy can be a gem in an
unexpected setting. I've essentially been compelled for years to make
real cranberry sauce, and even now, when someone else makes it (as
someone on my side of the family probably will, since we're spending
the holiday with a chosen, adoptive family this year), the unfortunate
cook is interrogated in accusing tones, to make sure they did X the
way Phil does it.

Whether this is a compliment or simply offensive, I can't quite say,
but it's odd to see one's off-the-cuff, thrown-together dish (my lady
wife needed home-made cranberry sauce for a photo shoot, and a recipe
for it, sometime around 1989) become a potential, the-without-whom-
none, holiday dealbreaker.

Cranberries. Roughly-equal-mass-sugar. Tiny pinch of salt. Simmer
until berries burst. Fresh orange zest. Booze, preferably Grand
Marnier, Curacao, or Triple Sec.

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter