[Sca-cooks] a successful bird

Kathleen A Roberts karobert at unm.edu
Fri Nov 28 11:18:12 PST 2008

well, the in-the-freezer-for-a-year turkey was thawed and
cooked and turned out to be one of the best birds ever!

i threw it into a brine w/ oranges, lemons and herbs for
about 4.5 hours thanksgiving a.m., and then roasted it
packed with veggies, citrus and herbs.  kept it covered
for most of the cooking, and then brushed it with orange
sherry butter.   wonderful!  but it was so big, it barely
fit into the pan.  no more 20 pound turkeys for us!  it
took me about two hours today to break it down, chop the
meat and get the two pots of turkey stock going.  phew!!!

and all this with a horrible cold that hit me at noon on
wednesday.   my perfect timing as always.

we had the turkey, sausage-chestnut-mushroom stuffing,
gravy (w/ a bit of sherry), mashed yams, green bean
casserole (a la alton, but my white sauce was a bit too
thick), and cranberry sauce (half sugar, half splenda,
perfect consistency).

i kept at it throughout the day, rather than kill myself
at once.  and enjoyed "hellboy II" in the process.

glad i decided to try and use that bird.  it worked out
great.

happy leftovers everybody!!!!!

cailte

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy which
sustained him through temporary periods of joy."
W. B. Yeats
Kathleen Roberts
Coordinator of Freshman Admissions
University of New Mexico