[Sca-cooks] water and "plums"

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Nov 28 22:27:24 PST 2008

Suey said:
<<< I talk about changes in water. When walking the Way of St. James,
I was
advised to drink bottled water and to keep to the same brand as just
changes in brands could upset my stomach. I do not have the references
here but there is a whole book on 'polluted waters' found I think it was
written in the 10th century if my memory is correct. >>>

What is the "Way of St. James"? Is this following the pilgrims path
in Spain. I do have this Florilegium file on medieval water quality.
bev-water-msg     (30K)  6/11/06    Water as a beverage in period.

If you come across the details of this 10th century book on water
quality, I'd love to add that information to this file.

<<< The only figure I know who received material benefits through
cooking
was not a cook but a messenger. He was little Jack Horner. He did not
pull out a  plum from the pie he was taking to Henry VIII as a Christmas
present  from the Abbot of Glastonbury but a deed to Mells Manor, common
fare in those days to hide deeds in pies. The descendants still own the
estate. >>>

I've heard that many "nursery" rhymes actually sprung from political
satires disguised to keep the authors from getting in trouble. I have
this article on songs, but I would love to have more details on
whether what we think of as nursery rhymes, also originated that way.

P-Polit-Songs-art  (8K)  7/24/02    "Period Political Songs" by Baron
Hrolf
                                         Herjolffsen OP.

Including more information on this Jack Horner story. That was quite
a "plum".  But did simply having possession of the deed also give you
possession of the property? I'd have thought that all the Abbot would
have to do was simply say that the deed was meant for the King. Or
that the deed itself would have had words added to it transferring
ownership to the King.  Either way, taking something from the King
would seem to be a rather dangerous thing to do.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com