[Sca-cooks] Wafer Iron

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Wed Oct 1 12:03:15 PDT 2008

On Oct 1, 2008, at 2:40 PM, Elise Fleming wrote:

> Greetings!  While visiting my daughter in San Francisco, I succumbed
> to a wafer iron that we saw in a culinary antique store.  You can
> see photos at
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/8311418@N08/ .  I've got some
> questions, though, especially for iron workers such as Phlip.  While
> the store says that they are old, is there any way to really tell
> based on the construction?

Probably, yes, up to a point. Not that I'd know what that point is,
but for example, it's conceivable the tong/handle section is riveted
to the iron section to keep them from getting as hot as it might if it
were made in one piece, or maybe the irons could be replaced easily by
knocking out the rivets.

I'm thinking the nicks on the edge might be from whacking the iron on
edge to dislodge wafers...

>  Also, I remember that the shop said the round part was brass.
> Could it be bronze or is brass correct?

It _looks_ like brass, although I'd rather use bronze, since brass is
less heat resistant and contains lead, as I recall.

>  And, given how shallow the part that takes the batter, these would
> make very thin wafers, right?  Because if you added lots of batter,
> it would squoosh out the sides and into the fire.

This happens with modern wafer irons, too.

>  Any comments about using this for real??

I don't see why not, if you used a non-acidic batter and a reasonably
stable, lowish heat source.

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter