[Sca-cooks] Couple of quick questions for the list....

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Fri Oct 3 11:49:55 PDT 2008

--- S CLEMENGER <sclemenger at msn.com> schrieb am Fr, 3.10.2008:

> p.s.  Thought of a third question.  The rapier community in
> my barony is organizing a smallish dessert sale to raise
> monies to buy loaner gear, and I volunteered to make a
> dessert for it.  Can be period or modern, but it does need
> to be transportable, etc., so I can get it to the site, and
> it needs to be not-too-fussy, as I'm also
> joint-head-cook that day.  Any ideas?

One recipe that looks period but is completely modern and extremely tasty is almond-jelly-pie.

Basically, you make a pie crust, heat some Spanish quince jelly with a minimum of water till it reaches spüreading consistency and spread it on the pie crust. Then you beat an egg, add a dash of almond aroma, about 2/3 cup of powdered sugar and 100g or so of gound almonds, spread that over the quince jelly and bake the whole thing till it's lightly browned. It's easy, quick and unless ypou crush it badly, it transports well. It should also be doable as bars in a square pan - I've not used it like that, but similar recipes have worked for me that way.

I've had requests for this included in feasts twice despitr me pointing out it's not bloody period.

Giano