[Sca-cooks] scallops

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sat Oct 4 09:42:01 PDT 2008

On Oct 4, 2008, at 12:10 PM, Deborah Hammons wrote:

> In the early 70"s Rhys and I were stationed on the island of
> Menorca.  Rhys
> went snorkeling and brought back a sting ray that had a 6 foot
> wingspan.
> Since we were swimming out of one of our local swim up tapa bars
> there, the
> proprietor asked if he could "have" it.  He brought out a huge cutting
> board, and after taking the wings off and skinning them. he used
> different
> sized metal round "cookie cutters" to prepare the white meat of the
> wings.
> Then he put them on the grill and served them to the bar patrons.  As
> scallops.  When I asked him about it, he just shurgged and said,
> tourists,
> what do they know?  It has made me pretty skeptical of the frozen
> ones.  But
> now adays I think there is a little more positive control on what
> gets put
> into those bags in the freezer.  One can hope.

There's actually a pretty substantial difference between the flavor
and texture of scallops and shark/skate/ray (which all taste pretty
similarly to each other, although skate is noticeably more tender than
the others), But as the proprietor says, "Tourists. What do they know?"

I wouldn't even mind skate-wing "scallops". It's the surimi ones that
are really pretty horrid, but then to me the only acceptable form of
surimi is Chinese and called "fish cakes" or "fish balls".

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter