[Sca-cooks] When does torten = pie crust?

Marion McNealy m_mc_nealy at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 16 11:33:43 PDT 2008

Johnna wrote:
I did read your discussion of this recipe at
http://www.curiousfrau.com/Food/SW_132_Cinnamon_tart.htm  and
http://mmcnealy.livejournal.com/

What happens if you bake it in a deeper earthenware (modern casserole
dish)for instance? Does it form into more of a pudding? Also why do you
think the egg whites are whipped?

Marion replies:
The research you found is what I was doing 3-4 years. I've decided to revisit the recipe and play around with it, now that I know more about the actual modern equivalents of the measurements Sabina uses.

Since then I've learned a lot more German and gotten much more comfortable with working with period recipe writings and not relying so much on modern cooking techniques.
I tried the recipe again yesterday with translated measurements into grams, and unwhipped egg whites, and it turn out wonderful! A little lighter than a dense marzipan tart, but still very, VERY, yummy.

My redaction, still a work in progress.
Measurements,
Augsburg pfund = 472 grams
lot = 15 grams

Half a pfund of ground almonds = 236 g almond meal
half a pfund of sugar = 236 g of sugar
7 egg whites
1 lot cinnamon - 15 g Ceylon cinnamon, ground fine
Butter smaltz (I used melted butter) - 1 T
Rose water

Method
Separate 7 eggs , reserving egg yolks for another recipe
Add almond meal to egg whites and mix throughly. Add sugar, mix. Add melted butter, mix. Add half of cinnamon, mix.
Pour into a greased deep dish pie pan. Sprinkle rest of cinnamon on top.  Bake at 350 for 25-35 mins until knife put in center comes out dry.
Let cool for 10 mins and sprinkle with several tablespoons of rose water.

-Marion