[Sca-cooks] And now a meatier question...

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Oct 21 22:09:23 PDT 2008

Margaret FitzWilliam said:

<<< I would have looked in the Flori-thingy except that it keeps
timing out.
ANyway... >>>

Oops. My apologies. Until I saw your message I was unaware that there
was any problem. I then called my web host, but he tends to work
nights and sleep days (typical programmer type...) so i don't think
he actually got my call until the second one this afternoon. The
Florilegium is back up. He said it wasn't a hardware problem but some
kind of overload situation. Whether it was a 'denial of service' type
attack or not, I don't know.

  <<< So not only did I agree to make mustard for the Twelfth Night
raffle, I am
also the lunch cook. We can't actually *use* the kitchen on site, so
anything we serve will have to be either heated in roasters or served
cold. The event steward is angling for a "sack lunch" sort of thing,
which
would include a cold pasty or some such item. >>>

There is this file in the FOOD-MEATS section of the Florilegium:
meat-pies-msg    (144K)  4/20/05    Period meat pies. Recipes.

Or how about a 'cold' type lunch? These files are in the FEASTS section:
Picnic-Basket-art (26K)  5/21/08    "A Pilgrim's Picnic Basket" by
Master
                                        Gideanus Adamantius, O.L.
picnic-feasts-msg (18K)  9/15/08    Ideas for light, picnic style
feasts.

It may be getting a little cool for a cold soup, but this file is in
the FOOD section:
gazpacho-msg      (12K)  2/21/08    A soup or sauce of vinegar,
garlic and bread

These are also in the FOOD section:
pierogies-msg     (12K)  8/ 2/01    Stuffed dumplings/pies from
Eastern Europe.
pies-msg         (184K)  7/25/06    Period pie crusts, meat and fruit
pies.

Also these for some ideas for items that don't need to be served warm:
raw-fruit-vg-msg  (18K) 10/23/06    Evidence that raw fruits and
vegetables were
                                        eaten in period.
salads-msg       (172K)  1/31/08    Period salads. lettuce, greens.
Scotch-Eggs-msg   (19K)  3/ 5/05    Fried sausage-wrapped hard-boiled
eggs.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas