[Sca-cooks] Venison Recipes Wanted

euriol euriol at ptd.net
Wed Oct 22 10:15:09 PDT 2008

Here is one I have cooked for a couple of feasts with good results:

Original Recipe taken from Libro de Arte Coquinaria, by Maestro Martino,
written about the middle of the fifteenth century.

Per Fare Civero de Salvaticina - Civet of Venison
Per fare civero de salvaticina in prima coci la carne in aqua miscolaa con
altrectanto aceto, et come è cotta cavala fori del brodo, azio che se
sciucchi. Asciutta che serrà frigila in bono lardo; et volendo fare duo
piatelli del dicto civero, togli una libra de uva passa, et mezza libra de
amandole senza mondarle, et pista bene queste chose. Dapoi togli una libra
de pane tagliato in fette, et siccato al foco, ma non troppo bruscolato, et
ponilo a mollo in uno poco de vino roscio, et pisalo con le predicte chose,
poi distemperale col brodo de la dicta carne, et passale per la stamigna in
una pignatta, et ponila su la brascia longi dal foco, facendola ben bollire
per spazio de meza hora; dapoi vi metti zenzevro, et cannela assai, che sia
dolce o forte secundo el commune gusto, o del tuo Signore. Dapoi tolli una
cipolla, et cocila in una pignatta et macinala molto bene, et ponila
insieme col lardo, nel quel è cocta; et metti ogni cohsa in la ignatta ne
la qual sono le chose predicte, lassandola bollire anchora un poco più;
poi fa li piaelli de la prefata crne, et de sopra gli metti de questo
civero, et mandali a tabula.

English Translation:
The Art of Cooking (pg 51-52)
To make a game-meat civet, first cook the meat in water mixed with an equal
amount of vinegar, and when it is cooked take it out of the broth so it can
dry. When it is dry, fry it in good pork fat; and if you want to make two
plates of his civet, take a libra of raisins and half a libra of almonds
without skinning them and crush these things well. Then take a libra of
bread cut into slices and dried at the fire, but not too burnt, put it to
soak in a little red wine, and mash it with those things, then thin it with
broth from the meat, and put it through a sieve into a pot, and put it over
the embers, far from the fire, and let it boil well for a half hour; then
add plenty of ginger and cinnamon so that it be mild or strong according to
the collective taste, or to the taste of your master. Then take an onion
and cook it in a pot and mash it well; mix it with the pork fat in which it
was cooked and add it all to the pot containing the aforementioned things,
letting it boil a little longer; then serve out that meat, and over it put
some of this civet, and send it to table.

My Interpretation:

Ingredients

2 pound Venison
1 cup Water
1 cup Vinegar
3 tablespoon Olive oil
1/2 cup Raisins
1/2 cup Almonds
3 tablespoon Bread crumbs
3/4 cup Wine red
1/2 teaspoon Ginger ground
1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon ground

Instructions
Simmer meat in water and vinegar for 1½ - 2 hours. Remove meat from broth
and let dry. Braise meat in Olive Oil. Grind raisins and almonds together
and put in pot with meat, bread crumbs, wine and spices. Cook onion in pan
in which meat was braised until translucent and add to pot. Let cook a few
more minutes and then serve.

Euriol