[Sca-cooks] Venison Recipes Wanted
countgunthar at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 22 11:24:39 PDT 2008
This isn't exactly period but I did use this
recipe for my 12th Night Feast and got
Venison (modern marinade)
Basic Marinade – Ingredients
1 bottle of Burgundy or red wine1 large peeled and finely chopped white onion4 desertspoons of dark brown Muscovado sugar2 tablespoons of 'extra virgin' olive oil2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar2 large finely chopped carrots1 sprig of fresh Rosemary1 sprig of fresh Thyme1 sprig of Parsley6 large bay leaves6-10 whole peppercorns3 large whole cloves of garlic (crushed)
• Sweat the vegetables in the oil then pour in the Burgundy. Add the rest of the ingredients and bring slowly to the boil.
• Simmer for twenty minutes and then leave to cool.
• When absolutely cold, place the venison in a pot and baste thoroughly with the marinade. Cover with tinfoil place in the bottom of a fridge and leave to marinate for as long as possible (2 days is good). Remember turn the meat before you go to bed and turn it again when you get up in the morning.
• When you are ready to cook remove the venison from the marinade and let it drip dry, saving the marinade to make gravy. Don’t forget to strain it to remove surplus solids.
• Roast the venison until it matches your requirements. We tend to like it cooked medium rare.
• Make your gravy in the roasting pan using the meat juices and strained marinade to provide additional taste.
One thing to remember is don't overcook the venison.
It is so lean it gets dry easily.
Stay organized with simple drag and drop from Windows Live Hotmail.
More information about the Sca-cooks