[Sca-cooks] Historical Apples

Lilinah lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 28 13:42:09 PDT 2008

Simon wrote:
>I've been casually following this thread.  I'm surprised I haven't
>seen a suggestion to try farmstands or farmers markets (if this
>suggestion was made, then I'm too casual).  A farmstand nearby
>(Southern Oregon) sometimes has 12-15 bins of different apples.  No
>really ancient varieties but lots of different kinds.

I wrote a suggestion to try farmers' markets, but i may not have sent
that message.

As i am currently vehicle free, tooling around looking for farm
stands is, for me, not an option. But, of course, it is a good
suggestion for folks who live not far from an agricultural region
with orchards.

In reading up on apples here in California, i discovered that many
wonderful old orchards with great old trees, not too far north of the
SF Bay area, were destroyed both for urban/suburban sprawl... uh, i
mean, housing developments, and to replace them with vineyards. Sigh.

There are three farmers' markets in Berkeley, each on a different day
and in a different location. And there's a fabulous one in San
Francisco outside the Ferry Building (itself revived into a gourmet
paradise) on Tuesday and Saturday. I just have to remember to go on
the day it is held...
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita