[Sca-cooks] Historical Apples - substitutions for

Lilinah lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 29 12:08:52 PDT 2008

>  > Calville Blanc d'Hiver - the premier French dessert apple.  To my
>  > mind, you won't ever get another variety that isn't an equally
>  > elusive sport of it that tastes very close.  But a Jonagold or
>  > Jonalicious would be a decent attempt at a similar firm fleshed, sub-
>  > acid dessert apple.
>  >
>  > Reinette - Jonathan is a decent doppleganger for this one, if it's a
>  > particularly sweet Jonathan.
>  >
>  > Winter Pearmain - Ask for a sweet, subacid russet - most of them tend
>  > to be pretty interchangeable when baked anyway.
>  >
>  > Blue Pearmain - A sweet winesap would do.
>  >
>  > Snow apples are also a good choice.  Though often not a lot bigger
>  > than Lady apples.
>
>I don't recognize many of the modern names you mention. I guess I'll
>need to pick up the apples and start reading the little stamps on the
>apples.

She listed few modern names:
1. Jonathon - developed in New York around 1825.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_(apple)
1a. Jonagold - obviously a cross between Jonathon and Golden Delicious.
1b. Jonalicious - obviously a cross between Jonathon and Red Delicious.

2. Winesaps - have been mentioned before in other messages.
(i'm shocked there's no wikipedia entry for Winesaps!)

3. Snow apples - i'm not sure i've ever heard of these, which
apparently date back to the 19th c. Maybe it's regional and just not
common out here in California

4. Russets - apples that normally exhibit russeting, that is, instead
of a smooth and shiny skin (of any typical apple color), the apple
skins begin smooth, then turn brownish, matte, and sometimes a bit
rough. This is not unusual in old apple breeds, but modern breeds are
worked on so that they don't russet, since that is now considered
"undesirable". Apparently in Shakespeare's time, russets were called
"leathercoats".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russet_apple

>This list may be too detailed for me, right now unless I can find
>those specific varieties.  Which ones of these are eating apples?
>Which are best for cider? Which are better in pies and such? I can
>make some guesses from your descriptions, though.

Jonathons and Winesaps can be eaten out of hand or used in baking.
According to a couple websites, Winesaps can also be used for cider.
Some russets can be used for cider, but cider apples are generally
rather specific. They tend to be very hard and even a little bitter,
and are not usually pleasant to eat out of hand, although there are a
few exceptions, but make wonderful cider.

>I'm assuming that "decent doppleganger" means a good substitution?

"doppleganger" is German and literally is "double goer". It
originally meant a spirit who is identical to a living person",
generally a rather ghostly double, which often behaves in a sinister
manner. It is used in English literature and conversation to refer
usually to someone who looks, and often behaves, just like someone
else to whom they are not related. So in this case, i'd say it would
mean a good substitute, and not something evil :-)
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita

My LibraryThing